Friday, November 12, 2004

Tears for Laci

Today, as I was picking up my oldest son from school, I had my radio turned on, turned up, and my children tuned out so I could hear the verdict in the Scott Peterson trial. Guilty of 1st degree muerder. Guilty of 2nd degree murder. Special cicumstances. Eligible for the death penalty.

As the verdict was broadcast live, I began to cry. No, certainly not because I thought they got it wrong. I was sad because twelve people who have had their lives consumed by this case for almost half a year let us on the outside know that, beyond a resonable doubt, there is a man on this earth who could murder the one he vowed his life to, and also the one whose life he participated in creating. The crowd outside cheered. Anyone who is married or has children should be crying.

My prayers go out to Laci's family, who hopefully will be able to experience closure and healing after this process. I pray that the remainder of their lives will be lived well, in honor of their loved ones who died. I also pray for the Peterson family, whose devastation none of us can comprehend. Many of us have lost loved ones, but few of us have experienced having to face the concept of your flesh and blood being a murderer.

As for certain aspects of the trial, just a few thoughts:

I don't understand how the jury found 1st degree murder for Laci and 2nd degree for the baby. If he premeditated one, then he KNEW the baby would die as a result. He couldn't have reasoned otherwise. So didn't he premeditate the baby's murder as well? He may not have directly attacked his son, but he KNEW that attacking Laci would result in Connor's death. And he KNEW that dumping Laci's body in the bay would perpetuate that death. The jury is still under a gag order so we won't know anything until after sentencing.

Mark Geragos was NOT present today. He was in Los Angeles. But some have commented that in a DEATH PENALTY case, a lawyer doesn't leave his client, especially during deliberations because of the emotional time it is. Granted, no one thought the jury would reach a verdict today, but still... Also, Geragos really lost steam towards the end of the trial. He didn't seem as "on fire" as he did in the beginning. I am beginning to wonder if HE began to think Scott was guilty (or if he *knows*). If he thought his client was innocent, why didn't he ensure he was there?

POOR TASTE on the part of the crowd surrounding the courtroom: news reports said they boo'ed Peterson's family as they came out. That is so bad and wrong. Scott Peterson is their son; of course his family will support him. They weren't the ones to commit this crime. The crowd should be ashamed of themselves. And why boo or cheer anyone anyway? This isn't a football game or a stage performance. These are people's lives, not fodder for entertainment. Two people died, another one might, and there are dozens of people whose lives are now devastated in the process. Cheering as people exit the courtroom seems highly inappropriate, and makes me question their motives for such an interest in this case. Please, get some perspective.

Sentencing: I don't believe in the death penalty, but even if I did, Scott Peterson should get life in prison. First of all, it would give him a chance at repentace and redemption. But if not that, then he should not get the easy way out. He should have to live a very long life with what he has done, knowing his plan didn't work.

And as this circus enters its final phase, I pray for Laci, who I think many of us take for granted as a pretty girl whose picture has been on our TV screen for 2 years, and who has been, to some of those out there, a real life soap opera star as if she were a source of entertainment. She was someone's daughter, someone's friend, someone's sister, and most of all, someone's mother.

May eternal rest be granted unto them, and let pepetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I just now realized tonight that you had visited our blog. I can't get to sleep and I was scrolling through our old posting and saw a comment you had made. Sorry for the delay in visiting you!

I agree with you. It was premeditated murder for the baby, as well. In this situation, there was no way the baby could have lived once Laci was so viciously murdered.

I am so glad this is almost over for the families. They have so much healing that needs to be done. I didn't follow the case very closely, since even though I don't know these people, it is just too hard to see that a man is capable of murdering his wife and child.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Julie D. said...

Between you and Julie M. that pretty much sums up what I was thinking. Good post. (Julie D.)

4:42 AM  
Blogger Elena LaVictoire said...

Sentencing: I don't believe in the death penalty, but even if I did, Scott Peterson should get life in prisonYou might want to read this book, Notes from a Prison Fish It's a real page turner about prison life - funny too if you don't mind some profanity. That said I have come to the conclusion that in some instances the death penalty might actually be the more compassionate solution to life in prison. But give it a read and see what you think.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home