Sunday, November 14, 2004

Somthing to Remember When Buying a Rosary

I have learned a new lesson in the art of buying Rosaries: it is more important for it to be well made than for it to be beautiful.

This past year, what I wanted for my birthday was "my own Rosary". Not just one of the plastic ones that we get a church or as a gift at a fundraiser. A really nice, distinct Rosary that everyone would see and say it was MY Rosary.

So my husband took me to the religious store and I picked one out- a baby blue beaded Rosary that was about $20. It was beautiful, feminine, and intricate. A few days later, it broke in my own hands (not even my kids had touched it!) Those little links in between the beads had loosened. I fixed it, but it broke again and again (one of those times my kids had touched it.) I took it back, because I figured that a $20 Rosary just shouldn't break this much. The new one has continued to break repeatedly.

A couple of years ago, I wanted to get my husband a Rosary for Christmas. He LOVES Pope John Paul II, and I found a Rosary with a medallion of our Pope's face on it. It was $50. I bought it. Our children have handled it, and it has also broken repeatedly.

Granted, the plastic ones aren't pretty, but they stay intact. Those cheap suckers NEVER break! My kids have done things with them that would make one think they were TRYING to destroy them. They are indestructible. This also applies to the wooden ones with that thick twine in between the beads, and the ones made solely out knotting thread.

There is nothing more discouraging than praying a Rosary, only for it to break in the middle. It takes such an effort out of me to muster up the desire, or the time, to pray the meditational devotion. Of course I would like to pray one everyday, and I really try to... but that's not the point here! Once it breaks, of course I pause to fix the beads, which takes about 20 minutes, some good lighting, maybe a magnifying glass, and the use of my teeth. By then, I'm out of the praying mood (which is probably what the devil intended).

The next Rosary I buy will be no more than $5.00. It won't be pretty, but at least my meditation won't be interrupted by my finger searching for the next bead only to be handling empty air.

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

A friend of mine had that problem with her rosary. It was put back together countless times. She refuses to get a new one since her grandmother gave it to her.

I started making beaded rosaries a couple years ago. It is so much fun to make them and it's pretty easy, too. The tricky part is learning to make those loops in the wire. I still haven't perfected it, but I haven't had any fall apart on me. So far, it's my favorite, hobby, but it's an expensive one. There are only so many rosaries a gal needs. Jay suggested I sell them, but I've never tried. - Julie M.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The only rosary I've had break was also one from my grandmother, except that I've had it since my first communion and my grandmother is a saint in my eyes. I put the cross and lower beads back on it repeatedly, but have given up. My solution is to just hold that piece in my other hand - the one not counting - after I've said those prayers.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Philothea Rose said...

That Rosary stand sounds like a great idea. It would work for when you are folding laundry, cooking, gardening maybe? They should really market that idea!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Forget to mention that Julie M. does make beautiful rosaries. If she wanted to sell them, she might find buyers around the blogosphere. ;)

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home