Tuesday, August 23, 2005

If loving him is wrong, then I don't wanna be right...

OK, in many of your eyes I may have just ventured into the realm of being a bad Catholic by my latest choice of reading, but I have to admit that I have been captured. I finally succumbed to the pleading of my book club and to my own curiosity and began to read....the Harry Potter books. I. Love. Them. I flew through the first three. I loved them so much I forced Gorgeous Redhead to listen to me read the beginning of the 4th one to him in the car on our vacation. He. Loved. It. in fact, while I was at the movies last night, he actually finished the 4th book by himself! He stayed up 'til 2AM reading it! And if any of you know Gorgeous Redhead, you will know that him reading any book not having to do with some kind of religious, theological, or philosophical matter is HIGHLY unusual. He cowers away from fiction. He HATES to read.

There. I've said it. I just find the stories and characters incredibly compelling. And as far as the witchcraft stuff goes, if any child (which I wouldn't even recommend these books to kids under 12 anyway) reads this stuff and begins to try to make it a part of his reality, then he probably should be banned from reading ANY book because he obvious has a warped sense of fiction vs reality. The stuff in this book is so obviously fantasy and out-of-this-world. Kind of in the same way Star Wars, the Oz books, or the Neverending Story is. I kind of felt this way after seeing the movies, but now I really feel this way after reading the books.

Phew. Glad to get that off my chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home