Friday, October 07, 2005

Cardinals discuss Communion on the hand

Communion on the hand versus on the tongue gets attention at synod

I personally receive Communion in the hand because that is how I was taught. I never even knew that some considered it irreverant until a few years ago. I tried to make the transition to the tongue, but found myself so distracted about actually making the change while standing in line and receiving the host, that I was no longer paying attention the the meaning of the Sacrament. So I switched back to the hand.

I admit that it really, really bothers me when people act like receiving Communion in the hand is sinful, especially since the Church has given us permission to do so and therefore no sin is actually being committed. I can totally understand people having preferences, because we all have those. However, some just think that anyone who receives in the hand is desecrating Our Lord. Many site the quote (sorry, no source for this) from Mother Teresa who said the saddest thing she sees in modern times is people receiving Communion on the hand. My husband has also always been bothered by this judgment and retorts with St. Cyril's quote about how we make our hand like a throne for our Lord when receiving on the hand. I was, admittedly, a bit satisfied to also see this brought up in the Cardinals' discussion.

A different perspective was offered by Melkite Patriarch Gregoire III Laham of Damascus, Syria. He quoted the fourth-century writings of St. Cyril of Jerusalem, who described how Communion should be received in the hand as if the hand were a throne for the Lord. Communion in the hand was the common practice in the early centuries of the church.


I did notice that there was reference made to the man who took Communion from a Papal Mass and tried to sell it on eBay. However, I always thought that at the Vatican, Communion in the hand was not allowed, so the argument that he was able to take the host that way seems to not hold here, right? Maybe I am mistaken. However, I do feel that if someone is going to steal the Eucharist, they will do so either by hand or mouth. They will just keep the host in their mouth until out of sight. I think more catechesis needs to be done all-around to stop people from trying to take hosts home for their own private worship or as memorabilia. For those taking hosts for hostile purposes, I think more prayer is certainly needed.

I honestly wish a world-wide policy would be made to stop the debate and confusion among the faithful. I would have no problem receiving Communion on the tongue and changing my habits out of obedience. However, I do not think this will happen anytime soon and that the statement Cardinal Arinze made will be the final word on the matter, and that the debate will continue for years to come.

Cardinal Francis Arinze, who heads the Vatican's worship congregation, responded by saying that arguments could be made for both Communion practices, in the hand and on the tongue, according to information released by the Vatican. Ultimately, he said, it's up to bishops' conferences to decide what is best in each country, but he added that Communion in the hand needs better catechesis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home