Wednesday, February 16, 2005

St. Francis de Sales and Devotion

One of my Lenten practices is reading An Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales. It is one of my favorites because St. Francis explains things so clearly to me in ways that touch my heart. However, he also can explain things in a way that makes me cringe with acknowledgment of my imperfections.

In the first chapter, a passage really revealed to me that while I may think I am religious and devout, I probably am not as much as I think. It also made me realize that while I may be critical of the weaknesses or lack of devotion of others, they probably have strengths and devotion that I do not.

Arelius was wont to paint all his pictures with the features and expression of the women he loved, and even so we all colour devotion according to our own likings and dispositions. One man sets great value on fasting, and believes himself to be leading a very devout life, so long as he fasts rigorously, although the while his heart is full of bitterness;—and while he will not moisten his lips with wine, perhaps not even with water, in his great abstinence, he does not scruple to steep them in his neighbour’s blood, through slander and detraction. Another man reckons himself as devout because he repeats many prayers daily, although at the same time he does not refrain from all manner of angry, irritating, conceited or insulting speeches among his family and neighbours. This man freely opens his purse in almsgiving, but closes his heart to all gentle and forgiving feelings towards those who are opposed to him; while that one is ready enough to forgive his enemies, but will never pay his rightful debts save under pressure. Meanwhile all these people are conventionally called religious, but nevertheless they are in no true sense really devout.


It was such an inspiring to read to start off my Lent. His writings are truly meant for lay people who strive for true devotion and holiness.

He then inpsires us to aim towards true devotion, telling us that true devotion consists of loving God, which then fills us with Grace, which then leads us to act with Charity, and "when it attains its fullest perfection, in which it not only leads us to do well, but to act carefully, diligently, and promptly, then it is called Devotion."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home