Saturday, April 02, 2005

I am so frustrated by the networks' choices for commentary on the death of our Pope

May the soul of our Holy Father rest in peace! He has our love and our prayers. His presence on earth was a true blessing to those living in this time.

I'm sorry if this post has a negative tone from this point on, but I get so frustrated by network news calling upon priests and theologians who don't adhere to Church teaching and who show disrespect for our Pope to make commentary. It has already happened on ABC. They asked Fr. Richard McBrien from Notre Dame to comment, and he was so disrespectful, saying we shouldn't ellevate or exaggerate the Pope's influence to something it wasn't, because he really had no impact on our country, despite the emotional visits he paid to America. OOOH, I was so mad! I wrote ABC a letter telling them that I will no longer watch their network for coverage on the Pope's death and that I get increasingly frustrated with national media turning to heterodox Catholics to make commentary. This isn't the time for Catholic debate on doctrinal teachings. This isn't the time for disagreeing priests to come out with their agendas. This sure isn't the time to gloat over our Holy Father's death in hopes for changes.

Here's my letter, if you'd like to read it:

I am incredibly dissapointed that in your coverage of the death of Pope John Paul II, you included commentary from Fr. Richard McBrien from Notre Dame. I have found that whenever stories revolving around the Catholic faith air on national TV, the news media seeks out priests and theologians who teach and adhere to ideas contrary to authentic Catholic teaching, and Fr. Mc Brien is one of them. As a Roman Catholic, I get increasingly frustrated by the lack of sources faithful to Catholic teaching who make commentary regarding Catholic news. I care nothing about what Fr. McBrien has to say and will turn my TV station as a result of your news network consulting him for commentary on the Pope's death. His comments were so offensive and inappropriate to make at this time. But above all things, they were wrong!

As a 26 year old Catholic, I can honestly say the the Pope strongly affected my faith a a young, AMERICAN Catholic. His strong adherence to the traditions of the Church were comforting and inspirational to me, and many other young Catholics I know, because we live in a time where anything and everything is considered acceptable. We live in a time of moral relativism. It was so comforting to see that there was someone out there willing to stand firm to what we as Catholics have always believed. Pope John Paul II was a solidifying force to many young Catholics who are searching for any institution willing to stand up against the moral decline of this age rather than bend to the pressures of those who claim that traditional values are "outdated" or "old fashioned".

Fr. McBrien claims we should not "elevate" the Pope's influence in this country to something it wasn't, but trust me, there is no exaggeration in saying that Pope John Paul II profoundly impacted the American Church. I think that if anything, Fr. McBrien needs to be careful not to MINIMIZE the Pope's lasting impression on our country and the world, motivated by a jealous heart or a spirit of dissent.

I really hope ABC is more conscientious in their choices of who to seek out for legitimate, authentic, CATHOLIC commentary from this point forward. You've already lost one viewer in me, and if you continue to broadcast disrespectful commentary, or just plain innacurate commentary, you will lose many more viewers. The fact that this Pope is so popular is not a myth or illusion. Disrepecting him and his adherence to traditional Catholic teaching isn't the way to go in your coverage of his death.

My name,
26 year old Roman Catholic
my city, CA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home