Saturday, January 15, 2005

The Top 10 Reasons Why I am Glad NOT to Be a "Youth Minister's Wife" Anymore

I told you I'd do it, so here they are...

10. My husband will actually be at HOME at 10:00 p.m. on a Sunday night (and every other night, for that matter).

9. No more calls to my home from parents of teenagers wondering what the driving directions are to a reatreat site in the foothills 100 miles away ("She's the 'youth minister's wife', she MUST know how to get there offhand by memory. And she probably knows the phone number to the place by heart too!")

8. I can go to confession to the pastor without constantly thinking I am confessing my sins to my husband's BOSS.

7. Whe my husband goes "away on business", the location will not include the phrases "amusement park", "ski-trip", "white water rafting", "laser tag", or "beach trip".

6. Speaking of beach trips, no more calls from angry parents wondering where the heck their children are after a beach trip in which my husband calls from a cell phone asking me to explain to the parents that the leader of the car-caravan is completely lost and someone spilled their milkshake on the map and so they will be home in an hour or so if they don't miss their exit AND make a wrong turn...again. By the way, how did all these people get our home number anyway?

5. The pastor will (hopefully) stop using our family, by name, as examples in his homilies.

4. When out on the town for a family day, my husband won't be repeatedly stopped for random conversations... by fifteen year olds.

3. I will no longer be able to recognize the approach of my husband by the clanking of the 150 sets of keys he has to every single nook and cranny of the Church on his keychain.

2. When I say we are stopping by "Daddy's office", my children will no longer scream in glee for the chance to play with the air hockey table, the pool table, the foosball table, or the Nintendo Game Cube. They won't be eating all the leftover candy, potato chips, or soda either.

1. We can finally order pizza again without my husband cringing, grimacing, sighing, or just running away in fear and disgust with his arms over his head yelling, "NOOOO! Not pizza AGAIN!!!"

Thank you, Lord, for the chance to live out this experience with my husband. It was such a blessing in our lives, and we grew so much.

God is good...ALL THE TIME! All the time...GOD IS GOOD!

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie D. said...

Just reading that list makes me happy for you! At least you will be called to a new set of challenges by the Holy Spirit. :-)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the laugh, philothea rose! I worked a right-hand girl to the youth minister in my parish for many years and really "get" the jokes. I'm glad you're getting this breathe of fresh air out of the limelight. :)

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home