Thursday, October 27, 2005

Showered

This post was supposed to have pictures, but everytime I would go through the steps of uploading it shows up with nothing!

Last weekend was so good, especially Saturday where I was the recipient of some special love and kindness by my California friends at CMOMC. My husband lured me to the coast to go see his brother play football (he plays for a junior college out there), to which I was NOT looking forward to. Handling my three year old while pregnant and sitting in bleacers was not my idea of a good time. But I said I'd suck it up and go.

Of course we got lost on our way there, and G.R. was irritated about it as usual. We finally get to his moms house (she was going to the game as well) and he went into her place to get her. I waited in the car and he came back saying she "wants us to meet a 'friend' of hers" before we go to the game". So yeah, kind of weird. But then, a lightbulb came on in my head....

"Honey, do you think it's a man?!"

My mother-in-law has been a widow for 15 years. She is 67 and works full time as a nurse. She has gone out on maybe 1 date since my father-in-law (whom I never got to meet) died. So, this turn of events was highly intriguing.

G.R.: "What?!"

P.R.: "Maybe she wants us to meet a manfriend!" I said manfriend because boyfriend doesn't seem appropriate for a 67 year old woman.

G.R.: "Come on, she's too old for that!" I conveniently left this part out of the story I later reiterated to my mother-in-law just in case she would've been offended.

P.R.: "Oh, come on, maybe she's lonely!" My brother-in-law lives with her now but will be transferring to a school,in Southern California next semester. Maybe she wanted some company?

So on we went like this for about 5 minutes, G.R. getting very exasperated with me. We pull in to a nice neighborhood where I say, "Well, at least she'll be well taken care of!" I am anxiously looking at all the homes hoping to catch a glimpse of this new friend we are to meet. We park and get out of the car, me wondering whether or not to put make-up on to impress my MIL's new beau. As we are walking up the walk, I see some kids playing in the garage, one looking very much like the daughter of one of my friends at CMOMC.

Backing up, CMOMC is a Catholic Mom's message board I have been a part of since 2003. Many of us have met each other around the country, and I have been fortunate enough to meet many of the Northern CA moms. The last time I've seen any of them was summer 2004 where we had a fabulous weekend together.

Anyways, I stop and say hello to this young girl, who I still wasn't quite sure of at that moment. I think, "either Beth is here for some really strange reason, or this girl is Beth's daughter's long-lost twin!"

That's when it hit me,

One of the moms at CMOMC lives in the same town as my mother-in-law. It was coming together bit by bit, but I still wasn't sure...

...until we walked in and surrounding me in the living room was none other than my internet friends from CMOMC- 6 of them. They were all there to throw me a baby shower!

I can't tell you how special and loved I felt, and how much I really needed a day like that. I had been so overwhelmed with the knowledge that in 5 weeks time I was going to officially have 5 children and be going back to the days of nursing every two hours, lugging diaper bags and carseats everywhere, having minimal-to-no sleep, and having a completely helpless human being depending on me. I have been wanting to get so much done and haven't had the time or energy to do it all and had been feeling very stressed and down. This surprise lifted my spirits up greatly, not that these moms would've known that I needed it. You know how we women can be; never letting anyone know how much we are struggling for fear of sounding like big babies or being melodramatic.

Well, we had a great time together. I would have been happy chatting and hanging out with the ladies even if it wasn't a baby shower. The extra pleasure was that two of the ladies were friends I hadn't met before, so it was nice to now have two more faces to put with the names I see on my screen everyday.

It just really goes to show that the connections we make on the internet can in fact be very enriching and fulfilling, and very real. I know many of my friends here in my town don't understand how I could spend time on the internet doing anything other than researching recipes, housekeeping tips, or medical conditions, and see the internet as a waste of time. But I am the type of person who loves to interact with people (well, at least most of the time), and I love making new friends. I am so glad I took that chance 2 years ago with the Catholic moms who blessed me abundantly last weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home