Monday, May 16, 2005

Forget why you blog; why do you comment?

Much drama in the comments of the blogworld I frequent lately. I would love to know others' feelings and opinions on the controversial subject of commenting in the blogworld.

Why I comment

I only comment when I actually have something to say. It doesn't mean I don't find all the entries interesting (well actually, I don't find ALL the entries I read interesting), but if I don't have a concrete comment to make, or if I don't have something funny to pass on, or if I have nothing to say other than "that was nice", then I just don't put anything. I realize this may leave people feeling rejected, and if an entry I really liked gets no response I feel the same way also. But in order to somewhat keep my computer time in moderation and maintain some level of sanity while on here, I must limit my contributions.

I only comment when I can actually formulate my thoughts into intelligent words. Especially when it comes to entries of a spiritual nature, I have to take time to think on it. I am not naturally a philosophical person. It takes me a bit to grapple some high-and-mighty things. So, if I don't comment on something that I truly found interesting and inspiring, it is because my words attempting to express my thoughts would have you all convinced that I am a true idiot.

If I comment with a "lol" or smiley face or with a "Yes!" or "too funny!" , then it means that I was physically laughing out loud or yelling, "Eww, disgusting!" (as in the case with some of John B.'s entries)or actually rolling my eyes at whatever is being pointed out. Basically, if you can inspire my body to actually jolt out of its staring-at-the-pretty-colors-on-the-square-box stupor, then you'll get a comment.

I will also comment if whatever you said makes me cry.

Why I don't comment

I don't usually comment to rants or blatant attacks that have no substance to them. For example, if someone blogs about how "Alias sucks and so does Jennifer Garner!" with out any rhyme or reason, I'll just ignore it, even though I may love Alias and JG intensely. I try and make it a point not to engage in anything remotely resembling stupidity.

I try really really hard not to comment to another comment. I try to comment when I actually have something to say about the actual blog entry. I personally think its rude to get into a war of words on someone else's blog with another reader and clog up their comment boxes. When I get comments on my blog, I actively seek them out hoping they've responded to something I've written (self-centered as that may be), not to the commentary. Although, I will point out any agreement or positive sentiment I may have to a comment previously made, but not without following up with my own thoughts.

And I really won't comment to or even acknowledge an anonymous comment. That's just a coward's way out, in my opinion. If you aren't willing to back up what you say or put a name to it, then it isn't worth acknowledging.

I also do not comment on things I know little about, or if I don't know about it that I cannot back up with links, information, sources, etc. I got into a discussion on organ donation one time, and while I am passionately for it, I really did not know exactly why I was passionately for it because my opinions were initially motivated by emotion and my own, weak, human reasoning. So, I took the discussion as an excellent opportunity to learn, and as I found tidbits to back up my opinions, I posted the links to the sources. I think if you don't know your info or can't back it up (even if you know it to be true), then you can very very easily fall into the weakness of making personal attacks, rants, or into the immaturity of a "na-na-na-na-na (sticking tongue out)" writing style.

I do not comment on something that has been dropped. I think many resurrect dead, controversial discussions for the sake of having their voice be heard rather than for the sake of truth or intelligent discussion.

I do not comment if the person is truly not open to what I have to say. Why put myself through the torture? I one time commented on a feminist blog because she asked for the opinions of those differing from hers. But to comment on a blog that, for example, advocates premarital sex, birth control, abortion, or limiting the number of children one has, and does so passionately is pointless. Just as anyone thinking the Eucharist a mere "wafer" commenting on my entries regarding the eBay controversy would have been ignored, scoffed at, or possibly deleted.

Basically, for me, it's about peace. When I am on the internet, it is a time of leisure for me. Yes, I have also used the internet to cultivate friendships, grow in spirit, or have a deep thought or two in my chaotic day. But if what I do in my leisure time takes away at all from my vocation as a wife and mother, then it is harming me. And if I indulge in something that harms me, I am in danger of also harming others.

Here's my short list of guidelines I try to live by in the blogworld.

Moderation.

Think before I write.

Ignore what is useless to me as a wife and mother.

Move on to something beneficial to me.

Respect others as real people; they are not mere figments of my computer's imagination.

Don't type it if I would never say it to someone's face.

Pray, "Holy Spirit, bless this entry or comment, or move me to delete it if it is not of You."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home