Monday, June 20, 2005

Latest Reading

I read, and finished, Holes by Louis Sachar last night. I personally loved the story, the coincidences, the mystery, and the messages in this book. Basically, it is about a young boy sent to a juvenile detention camp where the "campers" must dig a hole, five feet deep and wide, every day. Although the idea is for this exercise to build character, we soon find out that all is not as it seems, and that time has a way of making up for generational wrongs.

This book was for the book club my sister-in-law and I started, and this upcoming Saturday we will have the children and 3 adult participants over to my house for discussion and then we'll all watch the movie together. I can't wait, and have been online all day finding discussion questions, games and activities for the gathering. For snacks I hope to serve lots of "hole"-y goodies (donuts, olives, and such) and of course, in spirit of the book, peaches and onions. Although not too many onions because I don't think many will eat them. We also will be discussing a name for our book club and future selections. Our immediate future selection: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine l'engle.

I also finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, a good book coming from the perspective of an autistic teenager. I thought it would be a mystery all the way through, but the mystery was actually solved about half-way through, and the remainder of the book was the consequences and emotional turmoil the main character had to confront as a result. I thought the point of view of an autistic person was such an interesting world to enter into, although quite exhuasting. The book is very humorous as a result of the extremely literal and logical viewpoint of the teenager, who points out many things us "normal" folks say and do that really make no sense whatsoever.

This book was for my MOMS Club book club, and up next for us is The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer, about a man who goes through his life aging in reverse. Tomorrow night we head out for a girls' night to watch The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares, which was a fun and easy read about four girls bonded together by friendship and a pair of pants that magically fits them all perfectly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home